Moving to Turkey

E-mail Print

If you wish to reside in Turkey longer than the normal period allowed on a tourist visa, you will need to apply for a residence visa. You can read about the procedure and download an application form on the link below:

Household/Office Items 

Household items and office furniture can be brought into Turkey via a system called ‘Temporary Import’ as long as your residence permit is valid for more than a year. You will need to pay a deposit which you can get back when you return back to your home country, or you need to submit a bank guarantee letter from a Turkish or international bank which will ensure that all relevant tax and duty is paid if the goods remain in Turkey for 5 years or more. There are many freight companies who will be able to handle the logistics of moving your items. For certain items, a banderole fee is collected by customs. For more information please follow the link:


Pets are welcome in Turkey however you must ensure that they have all the correct health and vaccination certificates before you travel. You must have a veterinary health certificate which is no more than 10 days old when you travel. The animal must also have had a rabies vaccination between 15 days and 6 months before the day of departure. There are limitations to the number of animals you can bring into the country - each person is allowed either one cat, dog or bird or ten fish.


If you have a tourist visa, you can bring your car into Turkey and keep it in Turkey for 6 months in every 12 in Turkey. If you have a residents permit but no work permit, you cannot bring your car into the country. If you do have a work permit (or you are retired), you can get your employer to submit a letter to the local Customs department stating that all the relevant duties and taxes will be paid on the car and that the car will remain in Turkey for the duration of your employment. Once approval has been gained, you will need to get special number plates for foreign workers for your car.

If you are retired, you are allowed to bring your car into Turkey and keep it there for as long as you are living in the country. It is recommended that you register with the Turkish Touring and Automobile Club. To apply, you will need to supply them with your passport, residents permit, official retirement documents (in Turkish) and your car’s registration documents. You must also submit a letter from your bank stating that you will pay all relevant duties and taxes if the car is not taken out of Turkey if you lave the country.

If you do not want to take a car into Turkey, you can buy one in the country instead as long as you have your residents permit.

Remember that to drive legally in Turkey you will need to:

- Translate your current driving license into Turkish and notarised/legalised. 
- Have a residents permit 
- Submit a blood type certificate 
- Submit 3 passport size photos 
- Have a full medical examination at either a private or state hospital. You will need to present these documents to the local transport registrar at the local police headquarters.
Last Updated ( Wednesday, 29 December 2010 08:49 )  


Name Surname: